Catalyst Academy is the first new K-8 charter school in Pittsburgh in six years. We can be found in the former Lemington school building. We will prepare our scholars to define —and achieve – their dreams. We can’t wait! Here’s our top 10 reasons why we are a Catalyst worth considering for fall 2020 and beyond:
1) At Catalyst, we instill growth mindsets and unlock an awareness of opportunities — for every one of our scholars — in college, career, and life.
2) We will open as a K-1 school in the fall of 2020, and then grow a grade each year to eventually serve kindergarten through 8th grade.
3) As a public charter school, Catalyst Academy is a tuition-free, open-enrollment school for any student, including students with special needs and English-language learners, in the city of Pittsburgh and other area communities.
4) We are COVID ready. We have digital backpacks, 1:1 devices, a plan for in-person school 5 days/week — fully socially-distanced and safe — and at home learning, too. We’re nimble and prepared.
5) Our core values are incorporated into everything we do — Belong. Grow. Achieve.
Belong — All community scholars, families, teachers, and staff are embraced, respected, and supported.
Grow — Every Catalyst Academy scholar, teacher, and staff member is committed to growing every day in alignment with our mission.
Achieve — A great education should be a catalyst for each scholar to define and achieve their dreams.
6) With Art (music, theater, visual art) four days a week and STEM five days a week, we enrich our students by introducing and exposing them to important subjects and vital life skills, for secondary education and beyond.
And we develop our scholars in a holistic manner — including SEL (social emotional learning) and physical education, also four days a week.
7) Our curriculum is anchored in rigorous math, English language arts, and culturally-affirming humanities lessons.
8) It’s been an extraordinary journey to charter approval by PPS and our founding team is so thrilled to open our doors in fall 2020 in a newly renovated, historic building.
We will prepare our scholars to define and achieve their dreams!
9) Our educational model is carefully designed to close achievement & opportunity gaps with:
We push ourselves and our scholars to always pursue excellence.
College prep, culturally affirming curriculum, longer school day and year.
Small group instruction, instructional coaches, up to two hours daily for planning and practice.
Smaller classes enhancing student and teacher relationships, frequent teacher-parent communication and home visits.
Innovation & Personalization
Catalyst Expeditions –Week-long project-based learning expeditions, scholar flextime for enrichment and tutoring, and personalized learning tools.
Scholar goal circles, social-emotional learning curriculum, and dedicated Catalyst Community Time combine to foster a well-rounded scholar.
10) We are in our founding year. It’s a very special time and we would love to share it with you and your child. Enroll now!
Catalyst Academy Charter School’s mission is to prepare all students for college, career, and life. Catalyst Academy Charter School’s core values of Belong. Grow. Achieve. reflect the school’s deep commitment to cultivating an inclusive supportive school community where everyone – children and adults – is focused on learning every day, in order for all students to define and achieve their dreams. Catalyst Academy Charter School’s education model is designed to close both the achievement and opportunity gap. The approach couples rigorous core academics with a broad offering in the arts and sciences. Students will experience STEM learning daily and arts programming four days per week. Enroll your Kinder or first grader today!